Monday 1 July 2013

Day 16, The Farewell Dinner


Dud and I sat at separate tables for the dinner, for probably the first time on the tour. I felt I could trust him on his own now. Shucks, what could possibly go wrong just sitting and eating? I was on the top table, with Graham & Jan, Dean & Carol and Andi & Petra.

The meal, paid for, was nice but unspectacular, the drink, paid for by me, the Blue Moon substitute, Shock Top. I had salad for starter, as we all did and chicken for main. For dessert I chose the ice cream, mainly because, that was the only choice!

We discussed things with Andi & Petra, such as potential new tours. Graham was interested in doing the Southern States and Dean was talking about what he calls, shamrock tours. These are where you stay in one place for a week but make 5 or 6 rides out, maybe move location and do the same again for a second week. Sounds a good idea, if it saves the hassle of packing and unpacking ones case every day. Andi mentioned a possible music tour, going to Nashville, New Orleans, etc. That sounded right up Dud's street, him being a massive blues and jazz fan.

Meal over, Andi made a little speech, thanking us all for our business and touting for more, in a nice way, of course, before handing the floor over to Dean. Oh dear! Man, this dude could talk the hind legs off of all the Oatman burros! He thanked us for being a great crowd and for making his life easier, exceptionally modest of him, as he and as he pointed out Larry, both did a tremendous job of shepherding us around the West. We had had a collection amongst a few of the couples for Dean & Larry, a little thank you and I'd bought a card in Vegas, which everyone had signed over the two weeks and I was waiting for my moment, to make the presentation. As time ticked by, there looked like being no end to Dean's speech, so there was nothing left for me to do but get up and take the floor. As I walked around the back of Dean, it seemed to me there was only one way to shut him up (don't get me wrong, he's very entertaining), so I reached round and placed my hand over his mouth! Laughter and clapping ensued. The tide was stemmed and I was able to make my presentation, thanking first Andi & Petra, then the stars of the show. Poor old Larry got the card, Dean the cash. I'm sure he'll share it ;-) And with that, people began to say their goodbyes.

There was one last thing for Dud and I to do though and that was to give Carol her gift. Dud did the honours this time. It took her a while to get into the package (the lady in the shop had kindly found a box for it) but when she saw what it was, she was thrilled to bits. It has a little hole in it so you can hang it on the wall, so Dud and I shall await the picture of it in situ.

Kisses, cuddles and handshakes concluded, some headed to the bar, Dud and I up to bed. Tomorrow we fly back to blighty. We have a late checkout as we don't need to check in till about 2pm. That also gives us a chance to have a bit of a lie in too, before we finish our packing.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment