Wednesday 15 May 2013

Planning for Sunshine

Given what an awful winter we had, which still doesn't seem to be over, bar a couple of warm days we had, I am taking a very active look at temperatures out in California/Nevada. And very pleasant reading they make too. Thankfully, the wild fires have been put out, so there may still be some green bits around LA and along Highway 1 to see but that just shows what a dry winter they have had out there. Dry, warm, remember those? I have an app on my phone that is showing me the temps in the US. LA is not hot but pleasantly warm, about 73F. Move inland a bit and Vegas is high 90s and into the 100s. That should give a pleasant tan and a nice run out for my hyperkewl jacket in just 4 weeks time.

I've just acquired another piece of kit to go on tour with me, some Oakley Wind Jacket sunglasses. These are quite trick, in so much as they come with a rubber gaitor thingy, that pretty much transforms them into goggles, keeping the wind, dust and presumably rain too, out of you eyes by forming a tight seal against your face. I already have a few pairs of sunnies but I do find, even with a screen in front of me, that the wind gets around the edges and makes my eyes run. Not a problem if you have a full face helmet but when have you ever seen a Harley rider with a full face on? Full face on them, means a ZZ Top style beard! Anyway, the Oakleys will eliminate that wind nuisance.

When not actually riding, the gaitor comes off and they are a normal pair of sunnies. They come with two sets of lenses and these are quickly and easily changed by way of the hinged frame. As I said, quite a trick bit of kit. They also have an elastic strap. I can't see much use for this if wearing a helmet but if helmetless or indeed riding a bicycle, it could be useful to stop them flying off when a huge lorry goes past...... and they do have huge lorries stateside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment